Sharm El Sheikh, 14-18 November 2022
In the framework of the partnership with the EIB-European Investment Bank, COPEAM set up a transnational newsroom to produce news reports about the COP27 World Conference on Climate Change (Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt), under the coordination of a senior international expert and with the support of a local production team.
COPEAM selected, among the most successful beneficiaries of its previous training activities on climate reporting, 11 journalists from the MENA, Balkans and Sub-Saharan regions to take part in this activity.
During 3 days, they shot, wrote, recorded, edited and sent to their respective media outlets several reportages, analysis and interviews, while providing live and daily coverage of this huge event to their audiences. A collaborative and productive atmosphere marked this initiative, being able also to activate a mutual-learning aptitude between the beneficiary journalists from 10 different countries.
The established goals were fully met:
- Provide coverage for their domestic audiences of the COP27 summit;
- Explore trans-national issues with their colleagues;
- Increase their understanding of climate change, global politics and finance;
- Create new contacts and synergies with governments, science and business sectors and CSOs;
- Raise the scope and standards in reporting climate change.
Collaborations were also established with the teams of ASBU (Arab States Broadcasting Union) and ABU (Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union) covering the COP27.
Beneficiaries: TVR (Romania), RTCG (Montenegro), 2M (Morocco), PBC (Palestine), EPRS (Algeria), JRTV (Jordan), Télé Liban (Lebanon), Middle East News Agency (Egypt), Al Ahram (Egypt), IDN-InDepthNews (Kenya), Vision Group (Uganda).